Friday, February 21, 2014

A Clean Slate

Extending grace to others can sometimes challenge me.  I try very hard to keep in mind how much God has forgiven me.  I try to remind myself that no one else's sin is greater than my own.  ALL sin put Jesus on the cross.

In day-to-day life though, I find that I constantly get stretched to extend that grace.  With my children, I especially have a hard time knowing when to offer more grace and when to discipline.

It hurts me when I see them sin.  When they choose to do something that I know they know we have taught them not to do and that they know God doesn't want them to do, it just makes me ache.

Tom and I have tried to teach our sons that we don't have a list of rules, nor does God have a list of rules, they must follow to earn our love or salvation.  Those things are free gifts.

But God does give us a book of wisdom that teaches us how to live under His protection and have the most abundant life possible.  His "rules" are actually guidelines to help us do things His right way.  His way leads to life, not death. 

Of course there are things in my own life that I'm certain makes God ache.  He is my Father, and He probably mourns my choices and hurts for me.  I crave His patience and understanding...His long-suffering love and His slowness to anger.

I can only guess that my children want the same from me, whether they can articulate that to me or not.

It's so hard to extend these things when you feel like you have told someone over and over again what to do or not do...when you have discussed and forgiven and given chances time and time again!

We walked through some things this week, and I was so angry with two of my boys right before bed one night.  The next morning when I woke, I heard the Holy Spirit nudging me to get up and make them their favorite breakfast.

Now, you know my flesh was fighting.  "God, they don't deserve that!"  And quickly, I realized how much I don't deserve grace or mercy either.

Sigh.  I made them breakfast.  They were visibly shocked.  They thanked me.  They even apologized for their choices.  We had a much better week.

Wouldn't you know it though, that one of them lied to me again yesterday.  It was about something ridiculous that he just didn't feel like doing, but what we are trying to help him see is that if you can be trusted with little, you can be trusted with much.

Sigh again.  It was time for me to offer some more grace and mercy.

Lamentations 3 
22 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.

Each morning, God let's me start with a clean slate.  It is mine to do the same for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment