Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Are You Doing What You're Told?

I was messaging with a friend earlier today, and this is part of something I sent to her.  This has been burning on my heart for the Body of Christ lately.

It makes me feel really sad when people count others in the Body as successful or accomplished because that individual has done certain things society calls "big." 

I truly believe that we should be proud of someone, admire them, give them props or accolades when we can say, "Wow, that's great that they heard the voice of God and obeyed just how He wanted them to, when He wanted them to."

Would you say to me, "Mindy, you really haven't got it together girl.  I mean, you haven't given up everything and moved away and sacrificed enough.  What you have done really isn't much...not compared to others."

I doubt you would say that to me. 

Would you think it, or can you respect me for doing what God has called me to do?
 
I think there is a lie at work telling us that if we never do anything "bigger" than live in a stupid ole little town and babysit a few kids...or if we never give up the comfort of the U.S. and move to a distraught place to serve then we haven't accomplished anything for the Kingdom or admirable in this life.

What my friend Heather is doing in Cambodia to combat human trafficking is great...it's awesome and inspiring and life-changing.

But I really think what my friend Amy is doing this week is also all of those things, even though it's "just" reaching out to a family in lil ole Countrytown, USA whose home just burned to the ground and they lost everything...while she is planning meals for a family that just had a new baby...while she is on crutches and her husband is injured and can't work...while she is going through custody issues... 

I also think Tom's Grandma sitting beside her sister's bedside today are all those things...as well as the hours I just spent praying with and teaching my sons.

Yes, I really am coming to see that any time we step out in faith and use the gifts God gives us, whatever they are, and OBEY God's voice, that is when He is pleased.  

He never meant for us to compete with others or look down on ourselves because of the gifts He placed in others or what they accomplished through those gifts.

We have no reason to be jealous of what someone else's obedience has produced because every moment of every day we have the same opportunity to obey.  And sometimes, obedience is in the action of being patient and waiting upon the Lord to tell you what to do and when to do it.  In our chaotic and busy culture, waiting upon the Lord makes us feel unproductive.

Don't compare yourself to others or get lost in frustration.  Rest in the Lord and in knowing you are obeying what you know to do at this point in time.

God's ways are not our ways.  His thoughts are not our thoughts.  What we consider to be grand and amazing may mean absolutely nothing to Him.  If He hasn't told us to do it, our labor is in vain!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I just emailed my comment instead of putting it into this nice, little, white box! lol! To paraphrase it...I loved your post and said that when we compare ourselves to others or people's successes to others it is really a futile thing to do. Success is measured now and will be measured before the throne with flat, plain-vanilla o b e d i e n c e!

    ReplyDelete