Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Just What is Ministry?

What am I called to do?

You've heard that question before, right?  I bet you have thought it too.

It's okay.  We definitely were created for something...something bigger than ourselves.  We all yearn for it, though it often baffles us for years.

When we finally come to Jesus, we start to understand that He created us to do this "something" that we are trying to figure out.

I totally believe that God gave each of us gifts and abilities to do very individual things.  Our gifts are meant to build one another up.  Sadly, that is not how it often goes in our modern church buildings though.

Where did we start missing the big picture?  When did we take our eyes off the purpose and put them on each other?  Why do people who are supposed to be in the same family...on the same team...working toward the same goal become so critical of one another?

And really, just what is this arrogance about in judging between individual "callings?"  Seriously?  The Word clearly shows us that we are all part of the same body, having different functions, but all equally important!

I know them though.  I bet you know "those kind" of people too.  You have heard them talk.  They are the ones who think to be anything of worth you must be the one holding the microphone.  They give little thought or props to the one who humbly cleans the bathroom (uh-hmmm...the throne) they sit upon!

Never-mind them.  It's me.  It's you.  It's every last one of us at some time or another.  Hopefully, we are allowing God to open our eyes in this day.  

True ministry is seeing others better than ourselves.  It is caring for those who are in need.  It's not about preaching well.  You can be a great public speaker with much charisma but not have true love.  Given enough time, you will start to sound like a loud, annoying, clanging symbol!

Yes, some people are specifically called to be a senior pastor or a youth pastor, a prophet, a teacher, an evangelist, or an apostle, but that never negates the responsibility of serving.

When Jesus washed His disciples feet, He was purposely showing that the greatest leader should never consider himself/herself better than those under him/her.  Jesus took the dirtiest job of washing the junk of the streets off his disciples feet.  No job was beneath Him.

I know people who have waited around for years, some who are still waiting, not doing much of anything because they just "know" they are supposed to be leaders in the church.

Then there are men like my husband.  Tom has known the call to leadership was upon him since he was a very young man.  He even ran hard from it for a long time!  Every church we have ever walked into, our leaders have recognized it upon Tom.  But never did he just go assert himself to any position or sulk because he didn't feel he was being used to his potential or try to convince a leader that he was something great.

Tom takes honor and respect, obedience and submission very seriously.  I know few men that I admire like my husband.  Has he messed up?  Yes.  Many times over he has failed me.  But I have never had anyone else in my entire life admit wrongdoing and ask for my forgiveness so quickly.  

My husband serves me.  He looks for ways to honor me.  He listens to me, and he learns what will bless me.  He doesn't sit around waiting for me to do his dishes or cook his food.  He doesn't get angry at me when his clothes aren't clean or his shirts are not ironed.  He doesn't try to demand things of me or manipulate me.  He doesn't throw things up in my face, try to one-up me, or belittle me.


He loves me.  He lays down his life for me...in little ways, every single day.  Would he take a bullet for me?  Definitely, without a second thought.  The real test, however, is when he walks in the door from work and just wants more than anything to take a nap, and instead, finds another boost of energy to be an involved dad.


Ministry is not being in the glamorous spotlight, having all eyes upon you.  It's choosing to die to yourself and lift others up.  Ministry is becoming less so God and others can become more.  It is recognizing what God says your priorities should be and being willing to do whatever needs done...no matter how much your flesh doesn't like it!


What were you created for?  God simply yearned for relationship.


What are you called to do?  Love Him with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself.


You may stand before a crowd and speak for Him, but perhaps you may only sit before a few.  Realize, child of the Most High God, yes, you are called to "the ministry."  Every person you encounter is your ministry.  It is your honor to show them love.  True agape love is an action...an act of service...ministering to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment