Thursday, December 23, 2010

Mary, Did You Know?

After an interesting character analysis in church on Sunday by my friend Lawrita, and then further thoughts from my friend Kristen's blog, I have found myself pondering the life of Mary, mother of Jesus, this week.

When she said, "Be it to me as you have said" to the angel, did she have the slightest clue what she was really signing up for?
I mean, really, how many times has God asked something of us and, in the beginning, we are so moved by the exhilaration of doing something great for God that we don't so much think about the reality of walking it out in the day-to-day?

I keep focusing on this one thought: Mary, did you know that in essence God was asking you to be misunderstood for His glory? 

I agree with Lawrita!  One of my biggest struggles as a woman has been being misunderstood.  Whether it actually happens or I just fear it happening, it hangs me up!

I really think if I had been in Mary's little ole shoes, I would have been overcome with the glory of the angel.  I think I would  have been in La-La Land, thinking, "Wow...I must be so special!  God picked me!  I get to be the mother to the Savior of the whole world!"

Then, when, in my excitement, I started running my mouth to tell everybody and their brother and the persecution started hitting me, I finally would have clued into how heavy the responsibility really was! 

Seriously, what all did this girl go through?  The things that must have been said about her!  And all she was trying to do was obey God and birth the greatest gift the world would ever know!

Talk about being misunderstood and having to stand strong in the face of adversity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment