Monday, February 18, 2013

Why Pray?

Okay, I have to address this:  why pray?

Are you thinking that?  Are you like I was once upon a time?  Are you thinking, "Okay, so I can go boldly if I want, but I don't really see why I should.  I mean, if God is so big and amazing that He knows it all, then why do I need to?  Why can't He just help me out without me having to say it?"

I get it.  I really do.  

I do believe that many times God does indeed do just this...intervenes on our behalf when we don't even ask.  I believe it because I have seen the evidence of it so many times in my life.  I don't believe in coincidences.

But, here is why I think God wants us to pray.  You see, I try to think of God in relation to me as I am in relation to my children (for we are children of God).  I also think of Jesus as I am in relation to my husband (you know, since the Church is the Bride of Christ).
This has helped me understand things in a much different way.

I do a lot of things for my boys.  Some they ask for, some they don't.  I know a lot they don't know, as well as a lot they don't think I know!  I do things for them to bless them, to help them, to show my love for them, to protect them, and to provide for them.

Many of these things they don't ever have to ask for, and have come to just expect because I have done them for so long.  They don't even know all the ways I provide and protect around here!

Then there are those times they come boldly to me and just ask for what they want.  Sometimes I give it to them or help them, but other times I have to say no.  They aren't always happy with the no's, but like I said, I know things they don't know and can't see yet.  I am not going to give them something that would bring more harm than good.

I love when they come and share their heart with me.  I love when they take time to just be with me.  I mean, they are my kids, so they are here in my house.  I chose them.  I had them.  They are mine forever.  And I have them near me, but oh how different that is than having their attention and time...having them talk to me and listen!

So yes...God sure is big and mighty enough to take care of us without our communion with Him.  We don't have to talk for Him to know our hearts.  He sure loves it when we do though.  

I believe prayer was ordained by God to keep us coming back because, after all, we were created as the crowning glory of His creation just so He could be with us.  

Adam and Eve forfeited that blessing.  Jesus got it back for us.  Don't throw it away!

No comments:

Post a Comment